Wednesday, 27 May 2020
Menu
$1.8m in grants to help with 2019 bushfire disaster

Community groups, local councils and non-government organisations in 23 communities across Queensland will share in $1.8 million in flexible funding grants to support their ongoing recovery following the 2019 bushfires.

Applications were opened to support community-led recovery and resilience programs in fire-affected communities in Queensland.

Minister for Emergency Management David Littleproud said the bushfires last year left an emotional toll on individuals, families and the wider community. 

“We’ll continue to work closely with all bushfire-impacted communities to ensure they have the resources and support they need to make a complete recovery,” he said.

Federal Member for Wright, Scott Buchholz, said by supporting local community groups and not-for-profits in the Fassifern, they were improving resilience into the future to ensure social infrastructure is strong.

“During the bushfires, we saw our community stand up in support of one another, in support of our hard working rural firefighters, to support residents, farmers and businesses that had fought to save our region and support those that lost property, farm assets such as fences, livestock or had to evacuate,” Mr Buchholz said.

“The Salvo’s for example did amazing work, providing food and other supplies, under the leadership of Captain Wes Bust.

“I urge all groups that support our community in some form, to apply for this program.”

The grants can fund projects including community events or arts, sporting and cultural projects, commemorative public memorials, workshops and information sessions for future bushfire preparedness.”

 Small grants of between $2500 and $50,000 and larger grants of between $50,001 and $100,000 are available.