Wednesday, 8 July 2020
Menu
$1m fire fund for Scenic Rim

The Federal Government will boost the Scenic Rim Regional Council’s bank account by $1 million through the new $2 billion National Bushfire Recovery Fund.

The Scenic Rim is one of 42 council areas announced by the Prime Minister Scott Morrison this afternoon as recipients of the grant money to support the recovery from bushfires.

Federal Member for Wright, Scott Buchholz, said the Scenic Rim Council would be able to spend the $1 million payments on projects and activities that they deem essential for the recovery and renewal of their communities.

“Projects could include:

• Rebuilding damaged or destroyed council assets such as key local roads, bridges, and community facilities;

• Employing additional local staff to take on specialist recovery or planning roles to help coordinate and plan the rebuilding effort;

• Hosting new public activities and events to bring communities together and attract visitors back to affected regions; and

• Immediate maintenance and repairs to relief and evacuation centres,” Mr Buchholz said.

“A further $18 million will be distributed at the discretion of the new National Bushfire Recovery Agency, which is headed up by former Australian Federal Police Commissioner, Andrew Colvin.”

He added that he had been putting the case for further community recovery assistance.

“The Scenic Rim has been hit hard on a number of fronts by recent bushfires. We were one of the communities first hit, with the Canungra, Beechmont, Illinba and Sarabah fires in September 2019,” Mr Buchholz said.

“Following that, we experienced further fires at the other end of the district, in Tarome, Aratula, Moogerah and up Cunninghams Gap. 

“The region and many assets have taken a real hiding in recent times. Today’s announcement will provide Council with financial relief and increase their capacity to get on with the job of community recovery.”

It is expected the funds would flow to the Council within days to undertake projects sooner.